Now that winter is here in full swing in the Pacific Northwest, I am fondly remembering my week in Fiji in November 2010. My last 2 days were spent at the Sonaisali Island Resort, a 5 minute boat ride from the main island in Fiji. You’d never believe it, but this resort is one of the greenest on the islands.
If you love eco-friendly travel, its time to start packing right now.
You won’t believe the list of environmental initiatives at Sonaisali Island Resort in Fiji!
- energy saving light bulbs in all rooms
- water saving shower heads and dual-flush toilets
- energy saving guest room keys that automatically turn off power when guests exit rooms
- biodegradable housekeeping products
- biodegradable guest bathroom products
- linen reuse program for towels and sheets
- laundry hung to dry during sunny weather
- recycling sorting of trash from guest rooms
- mulching of garden beds with coconut husks
- tree maintenance program
- green waste is composted daily
- weed control with extremely diluted weed spray
- louvered windows to allow natural air flow and reduce A/C usage
Beyond the green initiatives already in place at Sonaisali Island Resort, the property has plans to continue implementing eco-friendly practices. Up next in 2011 and beyond, you may soon see:
- Converting chlorine swimming pool to salt water
- worm farming
- water storage/reuse
- rainwater tanks to be used for toilet flushing
- participation in EarthHour 2011, turning off all lights for 1 hour
- solar and wind farming
- solar hot water heating
Beyond the green travel amenities and features at Sonaisali Island Resort, you’ll love many fun activities, delicious food and simply relaxing poolside. Go swimming, fishing, snorkeling or jet skiing. You can also play paintball (using biodegradable paint), go horseback riding, or watch an amazing fire walking ceremony.
Fiji is warm year-round and boasts the world’s most friendly people!
If you haven’t considered a tropical vacation in the Southern Hemisphere, think about eco-friendly travel at Sonaisali Island Resort in Fiji!