Calling all boys and girls, ghosts and ghouls… don’t fall for the same, boring Halloween costume ideas from the picked-over racks at your local store. Not only are they expensive, but they’re soooooo un-original. Do you really want to look like everyone else on your block? That’s a scary thought!
It doesn’t take a Mad Scientist to come up with a shockingly creative, award-winning costume.
Why not recycle commonly used items from your home, or out of style clothing into a creative, green Halloween costume? You’ll have a lot more fun while both going and saving green this All Hallows Eve! Be inspired by old films, or today’s news headlines. Go retro, or futuristic. Think outside of the cardboard box!
Your creativity may not only be judged by your neighbors and fellow party-goers, but perhaps also the fine folks at Inhabitat.com. That’s right - they are sponsoring their annual Green Halloween Costume Contest, from now until midnight on November 1.
Need some inspiration? Consider these inexpensive, homemade Halloween costumes:
The basic rules for the Green Halloween Costume Contest are:
1. Fashion a homemade Halloween costume;
2. Take up to three digital images of yourself (or your friend) wearing your creation (sorry, no sexy tights or bunny ears – boooooring and so overdone)
3. Register as a user at Inhabitat.com
4. Use the official entry form to upload the images, describe your green Halloween costume, and provide contact details, no later than 11:59 Eastern Standard Time on November 1.
5. If you want to enter your creative kids’ costume, there is a separate “Inhabi-tots Halloween Contest”: Same rules apply, with a separate entry form.
Once the judges make their decision, your trick or treat bag could be filled with a $100 gift certificate to Inhabitshop and a solar powered Bogo Flashlight. You may also win an Inhabitat t-shirt or tote!
So, don’t get tricked into paying too much for cheap, store-bought costumes this year! There’s still 5 days left until Halloween to scare up some fabulous, award-winning ideas! (magic wand not included….)